Accomplishments and Achievements
John Wertheim has the professional experience and progressive vision to take the New Mexico State Treasurer’s Office to the next level. Motivated by a lifelong passion for helping his community, John Wertheim will manage New Mexico’s money with integrity while utilizing the role of New Mexico State Treasurer as a catalyst for economic opportunity, job growth, and prosperity.
Like so many of us, John Wertheim started here in New Mexico. A graduate of St. Michael’s High School in Santa Fe, John went on to receive a B.A. cum laude from Yale University in 1990. After that, he eagerly returned to the Land of Enchantment to study law at the University of New Mexico, completing his J.D. in 1995. Since then, he has proudly served the people of New Mexico by providing progressive advocacy and legal representation.
John Wertheim has served in numerous community and professional positions that have prepared him to take on the responsibilities of Treasurer in New Mexico, including:
- New Mexico Director of Bill Clinton for President, 1992.
- Campaign Manager of Bruce King for Governor of New Mexico, 1994.
- Democratic Nominee for the US House of Representatives, New Mexico’s 1st Congressional District, 1996.
- Corporate Finance Analyst at Alex.Brown & Sons Incorporated, the oldest investment bank in the United States that is now the US investment banking division of Deutsche Bank.
- Chairman of the Democratic Party of New Mexico, 2004-2007.
- New Mexico Representative for Hillary Clinton for President, 2008.
- Special Assistant to the Attorney General of New Mexico, Mid 2000s. Recovered tens of millions of dollars for wronged investors in the Worldcom, AOL- TimeWarner securities fraud.
John Wertheim is a current board member of the New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association. He is also a partner at Jones, Snead, Wertheim & Clifford P.A, a Santa Fe law firm that specializes in litigation on behalf of individuals and small businesses. The Jones Firm has represented labor organizations such as:
- National Education Association, New Mexico
- New Mexico Building & Construction Trades Council
- American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (Local 611)
- Iron Workers Union (Local 495)
- United Association of Plumbers & Pipe Fitters (Local 412)
John Wertheim is an accomplished lawyer and community leader. With both volunteer and professional service, he has helped the people of New Mexico in many ways:
- As the Chairman of the Democratic Party of New Mexico, John advocated for more state investment in roads, bridges, and projects like the Rail Runner and the Spaceport under Governor Richardson.
- John also supported and pushed for the Democratic National Convention site to be in Denver, Colorado, where it was held in 2008. As a result, the convention was able to focus on issues directly related to the New Mexico economy: investing in small businesses, job creation in renewable energy, and expanding the technology industry.
- John has been a regular panelist on KNME’s In Focus New Mexico, in which he fights for progressive policies for New Mexico.
- A conservation advocate, John has served on the board of the Conservation Voters of New Mexico.
With over 20 years of dedicated service in New Mexico, John Wertheim has received public recognition, including the New Mexico House Speaker Ken Martinez Award for Volunteerism, the Muchas Gracias Award for defending the constitutionality of the living wage ordinance in Santa Fe, and recognition as one of the 40 under 40 in the 2007 edition of New Mexico Business Weekly.